Me, me, me.

My photo
Rednecksville, Indiana, United States
I fall in love with fictional characters and have at least a minor interest in anything that could be considered nerdy.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

plotting and planning

As some of you may know, National Novel Writing Month is coming up in November.
If you do not know that, National Novel Writing Month (write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days) is coming up in November :D

I've done it and won the last couple of years, and this year I've managed to convince my mother and best friend to attempt it with me (yay!) The last couple years, I've known exactly what I'm going to write, but this year... I have a zillion and one ideas, but I don't know which to choose. Two are extremely angsty Young Adult/Lit Fic sort of things, one of them is a romance, one is pretty much the definition of YA drama, one was inspired by a plot prompt on the NaNoWriMo website ('autobiography of an imaginary friend') and the other is a steampunk vampire thing. I REALLY want to write the vampire one, but I don't know what the plot it. I have the ending, and two characters, but that's it. No setting, no plot.
So that's a bit of an issue.

I've never had this problem before! I want to write ALLL OF THEMM. I'm going to attempt to write a synopsis of them, and I want you guys to tell me what you think. Hopefully they'll be better than they sound, because I suck at at this. All titles are stupid working titles. XD

Chickadee:
After a young girl commits suicide, her best friend turns to everyone he knows that was connected to her to try to figure out why she did it.

That Summer:
Actually a rewrite of a story I was working on forever ago.
Amber's mother drags her to her aunt's house to stay there for the summer. There she meets Aidan, a foster child that her aunt has taken in. The boy is a mystery to her, and Amber loves a good mystery - but when she finds and reads his diary, she realizes that she might be in over her head.

Music = Life:
Brooke, Isaiah, Elena, and Robert - four teenagers from completely different walks of life, with nothing in common, except for one thing: their love of music. Can they overcome their differences enough to play in a band together?


Autobiography of an Imaginary Friend:
We've all had an imaginary friend at some point. We all got over it and realized how silly it was, realized that they weren't real. But what if they are real? Sam - the name a little girl gave to him - is one, invisible to everyone besides his human friend and other Imaginaries. But he wants more than anything to exist in more than a child's mind - he wants to be human.

The Nurse Who Loved Me:
Um. I don't know how to describe this one. It's inspired by the song The Nurse Who Loved Me by A Perfect Circle (the most gorgeous song in the WORLD.), and based on a short story I wrote years ago. So maybe you should read that. Be warned, it's old and crappy. http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2561863/1/The_Nurse_Who_Loved_Me

And then the vampire one. All I've got for that so far it that my two main characters are brothers, and neither of them can die - unless his brother is the one to kill him. So yeah. :P

What do you guys think? Would you read any of them? And what do you writerly folk do when you're stuck like this?

Comments are the rainbow to my unicorn. Wait what?

3 comments:

  1. I like the vampire idea. ^_^ but I LOVE "The Nurse Who Loved Me" by Perfect Circle. That was the first APC song I ever heard. ROFL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all very good story ideas. Personally I think the one that would be the most fun, challenging and one that I would want to read would be music = life. It's really hard to integrate music into novels, I'd like to see you pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    At the moment, that's the one I'm leaning towards, too. My problem is that every time I think I'm set on a particular idea, I start thinking it's lame and that I can't write it. :/

    ReplyDelete